Friday, August 17, 2007

The Reality of Reality TV, Vanessa Simmons debut on the Soaps & Notable Quotables

It's FRIDAY!

NOTE: I made a mistake on my last blog grammatically...I don't really have time to look for it, but I just wanted to say that since I try to be on point with that...I need to start referencing my AP Stylebook...eh, I will start next week.
OK, on to the goods:

So...on Wednesday, I headed down to M1-5, where Salt & Pepa were filming some scenes for their new reality TV show coming to VH-1 on October 15 (right around Hip Hop Honors). The show features the ladies (including Spinderella) and focus on where the ladies left off after an untimely break-up (but maybe timely) in 2002.


My colleague, Kim Harris of Painting it Red and I were walking up to the spot when we noticed the cameras. It looked as if they were trying to capture something, so we stayed back for a while to let them do what they do...


Then we hear "Action!" followed by "She's grown, she can go home on her own!" Salt then walks away...I look at Kim and go, "Huh?" Then I hear "Cut!" I then remember that these things are scripted...but Pepa was a bit much...maybe that's how you have to do it for TV though...


So then we walk inside and they give us the look I like to call the "Celebrity Glare." This is when you make no eye contact, even though someone is clearly looking for you to say hello. Hmmm...I smiled and kept walking...f' it...but I honestly think it was just one of those "in the zone" moments. However, I'd like celebrities to check that shit at the door, because frankly, you aren't much without fans and it's ok to look into someone's eyes. That's more than a enough...and a smile is just, well...Priceless ;)


Other attendees included Dana Dane, who informed me that his b-day is September 5, DJ Ralph McDaniels, the Awesome 2's, Big Ced, DJ Wiz and Kim Cooper (BET, former EIC @ The Source). Ohhh...and CHUBB ROCK. Yep. Kinda light in there, but fun times nonetheless.


Spindarella, DJ Wiz, Pepa and Salt, M1-5
(courtesy of Universal Concepts Photoography)

We headed to APT because we heard Q-Tip was spinning...but when we got there, an influx of people were outside, meaning it was packed inside, and suddenly the "I'm Over It" feeling came so we bounced.


OK, enough of the parties and stuff, onto the News:

Forbes says Rappers are DOING it!

Forbes says Rappers are the new Millionaires. "Despite its roots being connected from the underground and connected with criminality, hip hop has become corporate," says Lee Goldman, Forbes Editor. I'm gonna think about that one. Seems that the endorsement game is what is contributing to these riches, as albums are no longer the milk...

Anyway, the top five cash cows are:


1. Jay-Z @ $34 million

2. Fitty @ $32 million

3. Diddy @ $28 million

4. Timbaland @ $21 million

5. Dr. Dre @ $20 million


You can read the article here. (Right-click to view stories; Source: Daily News)


MaryJane, MaryJane...

First, they started that awful (yes, I said awful) lie about Marijuana leading folks to psychosis. Here are some more interesting pot stories for you:

Method Man Ends Pot Probs:
My favorite quote in this article is "He's never been in trouble with the law before. This is a guy who flies in the face of all stereotypes about rappers." Why is that funny to me? Anyway, read
here. (Source: Daily News)

High School...literally:
Read
here. (Source: Daily News)

Moving on...

Simmons Kid on your "Stories"...

Vanessa Simmons
starts her new career as Soap Opera actress on Tuesday as "Lola" on Guiding Light, according to "Soad Dish" (Daily News). I never watched that show, but I like her spirit, so hopefully I will get a chance to check it out on SoapNet. They repeat the daytime shows at night...I used to do "Days" but haven't really done that in a few...I'm more into paternity tests Tuesdays on Maury...


I'm done for now, but I will leave you with the following quote:

"Blogs tend to give you about 98% false information...bloggers tend to be lonely people obsessed with other people's lives..."
-Karrine Steffans, via her Video Diaries, Karrine.com.


I am really striving for my blog to not be thought about this way...I know you are saying "Who cares what she says, she's a whore!" I would say businesswoman, but maybe not in traditional formats we may be accustomed to...She has a point though...like seriously, some of these blogs do need to stop (and you know who you are). For example, you must be careful when talking about people you do not know...but we talked about this yesterday...it's the irony of fame. Either way, if you are gonna throw stones, be sure to be ready for some flying rocks coming your way, or you'll find yourself being hung out to dry. Trust me ;)

Special thanks to Kenya of Universal Concepts for the pics...I don't need to jack nobody...and I'd prefer not to...
Kisses,

~NP/PG

P.S. To the hater who had all those jokes, do me a favor...I am not into hiding, so don't make cowardly remarks without showing your face. Have a fabulous day! ;)

No comments: