Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Hard to forget that day...

It was my third month at a PR firm not too far from the UN, and I was sinking so low...it was a challenge to keep up with all my work, and it seemed like it couldn't get any worse...that morning, I'd gotten to work early, because we had clients flying in from Boston, and I didn't want to fuck something else up.

As I went to begin setting up the conference room, I almost dropped the copies I had in my hand. I looked and saw the fire...but I thought "...there is a restaurant in the WTC, it must be that...but how are they going to put that fire out?"

Within a few more minutes, both Tower 1 and 2 of the World Trade Center were gone...and I was getting nothing but a rapid busy signal when I tried calling both my mother and stepfather.

Minutes later, an announcement was made over the loudspeaker, asking that employees come to the largest conference room they could find. Amidst the confusion was a woman, being comforted by a VP of HR, whom I was told later that her husband worked on the 97th floor...I can't remember which tower...

On the street were cries of anger, desperation, and dazed glares. Looking down 5th avenue, the landmark I loved was now gone...within a month, its absence would make one believe it never even existed.

I won't forget that day...I hope you don't either. Today's post is for the people whom we lost on September 11, 2001. May your spirits live through your families, and through ordinary people...like me. The spirit of New York lives through...and this will always be my city :)

Peace,

~NP/PG

No comments: