Friday, December 26, 2008

Almost a month ago...

Hey candies,



So almost a month ago, I wrote here...and I didn't look back...literally. This blogging thing had gotten the better of me...and then the day after my birthday, I woke up and all I could think about was Black Daria. I talked to my friend about it, and then I began to read her some of the posts from this blog, to give her an idea of my writing style.



That's when I saw two comments here! (I get happy over things like this). I felt slightly guilty for abandoning my post, feeling that maybe this wasn't my thing, even though I hadn't given it a fair shot...so when I started Black Daria, in a sense I was starting over...but then I thought, how can I turn my back on this? Even if I only have 32 posts the whole year, should I just walk away from PG and move forward with Black Daria?



And then I thought of the missions of both blogs...while both tap into my humorous side, Black Daria allows me a sense of creativity, while Priceless CandyGirl brings me back to the roots of where this whole thing began.



And so, until I really figure things out, I will probably post "real-talk" here, while immersing myself in Black Daria on the other side of the web (hmmmm, are there sides of the web?)



That said, I'd like to take a moment of silence for Eartha Kitt.


I remember when I was in high school, I started taking a great liking to black dancers, and was fueling my thirst at Alvin Ailey after school on a partial scholarship. I decided to go to the library one day, and I found an awesome book of black performers, people like
Carmen de Lavallade, Geoffrey Holder and Lena Horne. I remember getting to Eartha Kitt's page thinking to myself, "One day..."

I loved her elegance, grace...her ability to be a chameleon in a world that often made people walk through kitchens before performances...her presence was felt, and I never met the woman.




RIP Eartha Kitt...you were and ALWAYS WILL BE the standard for black performers. Rest in peace.



Photo: Carl Van Vechten, 1952




~PG/NP ;)

No comments: