Friday, August 31, 2007

Remembering Aaliyah: 1979-2001

I'll never forget that Sunday morning back in August. My boyfriend at the time, who was working overtime that weekend, called me early and was like "Yo, Aaliyah died yo!" I immediately told him to stop playing and that shit was not funny. I then turned on CNN, and the fear in my heart was revealed in a cumbersome way.

Later that week, I walked from my PR gig at the time to her memorial at Cipriani a few days later, which happened to be about two blocks away. I dedicated my lunch hour, and it took maybe 45 minutes just to get inside. It was as if you were at the actual homegoing, and it very thoughtfully done, as well as great closure for those who couldn't understand just why this happened to such a promising force in entertainment.

Aaliyah: Wherever you are in heaven, know you are always thought of...from your song popping up in my iTunes shuffle, to a picture of a new young hopeful, I've always modeled myself with the notion that 'beauty lasts a while, but charm lasts forever.' (Coco Chanel)

With that, I present my post, with a special dedication to Ms. Aaliyah Dana Haughton.



~NP/PG ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

definitely one of the most promising acts of our time.. she would be still putting out hits, still making movies and turning into the star we all knew she was from day 1 .. it still hurts ..alot .. you will be missed