Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Dreadlocks and Glamour don't seem to mix...

Hi Candies-


OK...so I got this e-mail last week regarding an article on the law firm Cleary Gottlieb, and I almost lost my mind...apparently, Conde Nast is on some real bullsh*t, and seeing how I deem myself a whistleblower...


Dreadlocks and Afros...the tried and true argument that my mom and I have had since I cut all my hair off back in '95. I was tired of the "process"...getting burned, curling my hair...I mean, I just didn't have time for all that between my curriculum at LaGuardia, and the other one at Alvin Ailey...so I chopped it all off.


Fast forward to 2000, as I began to "hit the pavement" in search of that coveted job that would prove that piece of paper worth something...as I walked out the door one day, like many days, my mom would say "You can't get a job with an AFRO!" You have to excuse her, as she comes from the days when that might have been true. Well little did I KNOW...these days were like...just the other day (I knew this, but was disturbed to actually see this article in print)


Apparently, a genius (I am totally being sarcastic in case you were wondering) editor from Glamour magazine was asked to do what was supposed to be a fun and relaxing presentation on what to wear to work in corporate America...it slowly turned into a nightmare when the first slide featured women whom had dreads and afros...you can read the full article here.

The best part is that no one seems to know who this biatch is who came there...and calls to Glamour were answered with "Cleary who?"

I remember when I first graduated, I went in for an interview as a floater at Conde Nast. I thought it would be a great way to figure out my place in publishing. The first interviewer liked me a lot, but said she needed her boss to "look at me" before she could decide. I thought the words were interesting..."look at me" as opposed to another interview. I walked into her office and she gave me the Miranda look (catch up to The Devil Wears Prada...Glenn Close is the bitch in that movie, with respect when I say that) and said "OK. Thank you." She said nothing else, so I asked what was the next step. She told me that they had other people, blah blah...I knew what the science was though...

So...here are the list of publications that need to be boycotted ASAP until these MFers figure out who the genius editor was who thought her presentation was sooooo cute:

Vogue
W
style.com
Glamour
Allure
Self
Teen Vogue
Flip.com
GQ
Details
Men's Vogue
men.style.com
Architectural Digest
House & Garden
Brides
Modern Bride
Elegant Bride
Brides.com
Lucky
Domino
Cookie
Golf Digest
Golf World
Golf for Women
Vanity Fair
Gourmet
Bon Appétit
epicurious.com
Condé Nast Traveler
concierge.com
Wired
Wired.com
Condé Nast Portfolio
Portfolio.com
The New Yorker

Shout out to the sisters still at this firm...somebody's ass would have gotten beaten that day. Word.

Good stuff to come...stay tuned...

~PG/NP ;)

No comments: